Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Ry


"Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are -- chaff and grain together -- certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with the breath of kindness blow the rest away." George Eliot

I saw this quote today, and I loved it.  It expresses perfectly how I feel about my closest friends and family members. And of course, someone that I immediately thought of was Ryan.

Earlier this week, I was super stressed out about school. I am convinced that teaching is one of the busiest, most demanding professions in the world--if you do it right. I had been staying up until 1 or 2 in the morning planning lessons and assignments--and then getting up at 5 a.m. to get ready, commute to work, and be ready for the kids at 7:15. I was exhausted and overwhelmed. One evening on my way to some meetings at church, I called Ryan. I was ranting and raving, venting and whining, and, as usual, he listened patiently and told me he loved me.

When I came home from the meetings, ready to face another long night, I walked into a spotless house. He had done all the dishes, swept, picked up, done the laundry--everything looked perfect. After giving him the biggest hug ever, I asked him why he had done that for me. He said, "Well, when I talked to you on the phone, it sounded like your life feels pretty out of control right now. So, I figured that if everything else is a mess, the least I can do is make sure our house is really clean. I thought it might make you feel better."

Ryan is my quiet, thoughtful, amazing friend. When I talk to him, he hears what I am saying--and perhaps what I am not saying--and he does all he can to help. He doesn't just listen and then forget.

"Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort" of having Ryan in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Rachel! This is Katie, your favorite ever, and Lindsey's little sister. I just want you and Ryan to know how happy I am you have joined the blogging world so that I can keep up with your life! You are truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan is the best. And I love that quote - I'm not the biggest literature buff but I think I'd like to put it up in my house somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...Logan is doing the dishes as we speak...while I check your blog. :) How in the world did we get so lucky?! (And by the way, honey buns, if you are spending until 2 am on a lesson you are spending TOO MUCH TIME on it! Most high school kids don't even pay attention most of the time. Sad, but true. Simplify and make a goal to stop with the school work at midnight. It'll be good for you...at least a good start!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah. You've got to have a time to get off of work. I get off work to on the weekends I refuse to do any dishes. lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!