Friday, August 20, 2010

Cloudy with a Chance of Chowder


I've said before that I am a magnet for random and bizarre experiences.

A conversation that I had today merely reinforced that conclusion.

It happened in a Joanne Fabrics.  And it began like this:

"I really want some clam chowder."

Startled, I looked up from the fabric I was buying.  "Excuse me?"

"I really want some clam chowder," the elderly saleslady said again, as if it were the most natural conversation starter in the world.

"Oh."  I responded, not sure what more to say.

She sighed and started cutting my fabric.

After a moment of her gloomy silence, I piped in, "Well, maybe you should go get some clam chowder tonight."

She immediately brightened.  "Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Don't you think I should walk me down to Outback Steakhouse after work and get myself a bowl?"

"Absolutely!"  I encouraged her.  "You deserve it."  (If there is one thing I am good at, it's encouraging people to indulge in a treat.)

She smiled for a second, but then her countenance fell again.  She went back to trimming the white cotton.  "But if it rains, I won't be able to."

Feeling a little desperate, I glanced outside at the ominous, gathering clouds.  "What time do you get off work?"

"Half an hour."

I gave her a confident nod.  "I think the rain will hold out for you."

"Really?"  She perked up again.  "Why, thank you, Honey!"

"You're welcome!" I said, glad to be of assistance.

I left the store with a warm and fuzzy feeling in my stomach--much like clam chowder in August.

2 comments:

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!