Saturday, February 5, 2011

Friend Crush


My little sister once told me that she had a "Friend Crush."  When I asked her to clarify, she explained that a Friend Crush is someone who you really really want to be friends with because you think she's cool and fun and pretty, but you don't want to come across as a creepy stalker by calling too much or following her around at social gatherings.  So you try to play it cool and hope that your Friend Crush likes you as much as you like her.

I burst out laughing when she explained this because I have totally had Friend Crushes in my life.  (Haven't we all?)

So now, "Friend Crush" has become a regularly used term by the Westover sisters when describing people that we really want to be friends with.

As Ryan interviewed at pedo programs around the country this fall, he met lots of cool dental students.  Some of the guys were at multiple interviews with him, so they got to chat and hang out and get to know each other.

As he came home from these interviews, he kept mentioning a certain friend he had made, telling me about this guy's hobbies, sense of humor...even his stylin' shoes. (Don't kill me for admitting that, Ryan.)

After hearing this glowing description, I looked at Ryan slyly and said, "It sounds to me like someone has a Friend Crush."

Ha!

That was several months ago, and I had totally forgotten about it when I got this text on Monday afternoon: "Rachel, guess what?  My Friend Crush got in to the program in Denver too!"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  I loved it!

Way to embrace the Westover terminology, Ry!  I hope your FC never reads this blog post, or he might think you are a creeper!  As for me, I just think you are funny, and I'm glad you'll have someone to hang out with during your busy days at the hospital in Denver.  :)

7 comments:

  1. rachel.. let's face it. you were my friend crush until i thought you made fun of my hair in 8th grade. and in high school too. you and barbara moore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I constantly have friend crushes. And I am proud of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! My friend crushes in St. Louis have become some of my BFFs!! Friend crushes rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that's so funny! I love all your writing, Rach. ALL of it. I think I have found myself a new term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny...and that's so great that he'll be in Denver. How far from where your Dad lives to the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, I have spent a lot of time on your blog. I am so amazed by the kind of person you are and all the wonderful things that you do. I'm adding your button to my personal blog. Thanks for sharing your journey to find your baby.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!