Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My Podcast, My Journey


A few months ago, I mentioned that I was preparing to record a podcast for Power of Moms about what I had learned in counseling for an eating disorder.  I went through all of my notes from a year's worth of therapy and pulled out some of my major "take-aways" to share in a 45-minute presentation that I hoped could be helpful to anyone who is wanting to feel less stress and more joy.

It was so rewarding to do this.  It was a great refresher of what I'd learned in counseling, and there was so much that I myself needed to review and recommit to.

It was also a great reminder of how far I've come and how different my life is now than it was only three years ago.  Sometimes I feel like I have gotten no where in my relationship with food, myself, and my body, but looking back at my journaling from those years, it was very easy to see that I have indeed come a LONG way and changed so much for the better.  (Insert party hat and cheering hands emojis.  Does anyone else think in emojis now?)

I was so nervous to record the podcast, and after it was done, I second guessed everything that I had said and felt a little sick inside (hello, sharing some of the most intimate and private revelations and experiences of your life)--but I was so pleasantly surprised with how it turned out when it aired on the Power of Moms website and I listened to it for the first time.  Of course it is not perfect, and there are moments that I wish I could re-record and say differently, but overall, I feel like it is a good recap of a lot of really important insights and strategies that I have learned through my eating disorder journey.  I feel like it could be helpful to people, whether or not they have struggled with body image demons, and that feels so good.  It feels amazing to share the tools that have made an immense difference in my life.

So if you are interested in learning how to stop the cycle of negative self-talk in your life and change your habits without resorting to guilt or self-loathing as a motivator, listen to my podcast! You can listen from a computer or from your phone--it's super easy, just a click and then listen away while you fold laundry, do dishes, or drive to work.

Here's a link to the podcast, with lots of resource links at the bottom: Unhealthy Stress or Habits? Break the Cycle!

And here's a link to the narrative therapy that I mention in the podcast (and that I initially published here, with much trepidation.  Can you believe that I got the courage to share it on a national website??  Proof right there that counseling can change you, LOL!): The Surprising Way I Confronted My Eating Disorder

Thank you all for sharing my journey with me.  It's not even close to over, but I am making progress.   I am thinking about doing a series about "intuitive eating" on this blog this year--focusing on one of the ten principles of intuitive eating each week, sharing my experiences with that principle and offering a "challenge" to live that principle in daily life that week.  ("Intuitive eating" is the philosophy that my counselor taught me for developing a healthy relationship with food.  It's based on a book, but it is so much more than that.)

What do you think?  Would this interest anyone out there?  I need to review all of these principles myself because it is one thing to know them intellectually and a different thing entirely to actually live them.  I need to work on the living them part, and I would love to have some company and support as I continue on this adventure.  Let me know if you're in!

Now go listen to the podcast if you want less stress in your life!  And who doesn't want that?

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are sharing your story! I turned a friend to your blog recently because of some demons she has with food and body image. You are going to help so many women. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!