Thursday, July 22, 2010

After spending a week with my little sis, I have determined several things...

1.  It is a tragedy that we live 2,600 miles apart.
2.  She makes incredibly dramatic faces in photographs, and it is funny.
3.  I love comfy make-shift beds.
4.  We are good at setting up tents.
5.  I wish I were Amish.

 By way of explanation...


1.  Niagara Falls for shopping at the outlets and late-night fireworks


This was just fun.  Why doesn't Laura live closer?? I love having a shopping and hanging out buddy!

2.  Hill Cumorah Pageant, Palmyra, NY




Laura was quite thrilled about her clip-on OFF dispenser (please note her facial expression)--no more spraying smelly bug spray directly onto her irritable skin!   Although my glee might not be quite as evident, I was equally thrilled about our Mark's pizza.  Delicious!

3.  The drive-in movie


Ry made us a bed in the back of the Cardon's pick-up truck.  Sooo comfortable and fun!  I found myself wishing that I could sleep in the back of a truck on an air mattress every night.  The stars and the fresh air were lovely.  

4.  Camping in Allegany State Park



While Ryan got a fire going, Laura and I were given the job of setting up the tent.  We're not really outdoorsy girls, and if you look closely, you will see the obvious confusion on Laura's face as she wrestles with the poles.  BUT, we must have done something right because at about 2 a.m. it started pouring, and yet, we stayed warm and cozy all night long.  Here we are in the morning modeling our handiwork.  (I think we had just taken the fly off to dry.)  We must be good at setting up tents:





 5. And finally (I saved the best event for last) a journey through Amish Country


This was honestly one of the coolest things I've done since living in New York.  We felt like we had stepped back in time.  We watched in awe as boys in straw hats and girls in bonnets rode by in horse-drawn carts.  As we meandered through quaint farm houses and observed grazing sheep and fluttering laundry (the Amish don't use electricity which means no dryers), I felt a little bit envious of the simplicity and slow-pace of life.  I know, I know...it's surely not as romantic and idyllic as it looks, but I really admire the way that the Amish live.




Each family has a trade of some sort and sells goods directly from their home, so you just stop and check out their clocks or rocking chairs or wooden toys or farm-fresh produce.  Our favorite was, of course, the candy shop.  The dark chocolate goat milk fudge was TO DIE FOR.  


If you live in New York and you haven't been to Amish Country, I highly highly highly recommend it.  Take an afternoon off and go for a drive.

It was a great week.  I miss you already, Sister!  Come back soon.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! I want to go! We'll have to talk about how long the drive is and decide if Callum would tolerate such an outing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so pretty. I miss yall's creative writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun! I miss you already!!! I thought it was especially funny that she put the goat milk fudge in a walmart bag. Yuck. That place really does invade all areas of life, even Amish country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you seriously take pillows to pageant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I miss you girls! I was giggling at all of the pictures. You look like you are still in high school!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!