Sunday, May 13, 2012

Beautiful Reunion

Today is Mothers' Day, and I am thinking about my mom.

I have always loved Mothers' Day because it is one more reason to remember and celebrate her.

Me and my beautiful mama
I was born in an ambulance!  Here we are recovering at the hospital. :)

There's a scene that I love near the end of the movie Anne of Avonlea.  Anne has been away teaching at a boarding school for a year, and when the train gets her back to Avonlea a day earlier than she'd originally planned, she decides to walk home, even though her family isn't expecting her.

Marilla is sitting on the porch when she spies Anne in the distance, walking down the dirt road toward home with her bag and a bouquet of flowers in her hands.  Marilla starts running toward her.  When Anne sees Marilla, she throws her bag, raises her skirt, and starts running too.  As they get near to each other, they are laughing in pure delight, and then they throw their arms around each other, spinning and embracing with shouts of joy, relief, and love.

It is the embrace that only mothers and daughters share.  And it makes me cry every time.

It will be many years before my mom and I have our reunion in heaven, but I am so grateful for the knowledge that families are eternal--that I will have that reunion with my mother one day.  I am grateful to my Savior who made that possible.

And as I look back on the past year of my life, I know that there have been many moments when my mom was by my side.  I am a mother now, and I know that she has witnessed that.

Me and my baby boy
Happy Mothers' Day to all of my dear friends and family!  

4 comments:

  1. Love. Love Mom, Love Anne, Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, Rachel. It made me so emotional. That first photo is absolutely priceless. Look at how she is looking at you! I'm so excited for your joyous reunion with your mom:) She's with you every step of the way! Happy Mothers Day!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this today Rach. I thought about you this morning and was hoping you were enjoying your first Mother's Day with Noah. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for that reunion with my mom as well! Thanks for the beautiful post. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!