Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Noah Is Funny

Noah has a new phrase: "Want it!"  He often says this when we are in public places and he is looking at the toy that another child is playing with or the food that another child is eating.  He reaches dramatically for the desired object and yells pathetically, "WANT IT!!!!"  So embarrassing!

He doesn't even like food--so I don't know why is always begging other kids for it.  Seriously, Noah has turned into the pickiest eater ever, and it is driving his mother nuts.  His four food group are: bananas, pancakes, peanut butter, and cream cheese.  He is OBSESSED with peanut butter, which he calls just plain "butter."  If he had his way, he would eat nothing else.  The other night, I was trying to get him to eat cheese tortellini, which I knew he would like if he just tried a bite, but he flat out refused...until I put a dollop of peanut butter on it.  Disgusting, yes, but he gobbled it right up.  He is almost equally obsessed with pancakes, which he calls "Cancakes."  He can often be heard throughout the day, when it's not even mealtime, whining for "Cancakes! Cancakes!"  My dad watched Noah for us the other night, and when he heard Noah sobbing for pancakes, he decided to take him on a date to Village Inn.  Cancake Date with Bapa!  What could be better?  (As a side note, I could really use some advice on the picky eating--so please leave a comment if you have any ideas for me!!)

Noah also LOVES balloons, and he has come to associate the grocery store with these helium-filled delights.  As soon as we walk into the store, he starts asking, "Balloon?  Balloon?  Balloon?"  We always make a stop at the florist and find a balloon to tie to our cart for him to play with as we mosey around the store.  Sadly, he never gets to take it home.  (I think Secret Cupid is going to bring him a balloon for Valentines Day this year and tie it on his crib, so he wakes up in the morning to his dream come true.)

I love my little Noah rascal.

10 comments:

  1. So, I know that Clara is super easy and likes most foods and always has, BUT I totally LOVE the book "French Kids Eat Anything" and I try really hard to follow most of the guidelines in there. They make such good sense and it actually helped me and Paul eat better ourselves. I've recommended this book to a couple of friends with picky eaters and they said it was super helpful for them.

    An adoption friend did a good book review on "French Kids Eat Everything" right here: http://stephenandsarah03.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-review-french-kids-eat-everything.html so you might want to glance through it to see if it would be worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like all of my kids have gone through a picky stage around a year and half and it last a while. I figure when they are hungry they will eat so I try not to make a big deal of it and I try not to give them junk just because they won't eat. It passes and luckily when they get just a little older you can start reasoning or saying things like "you have to pick a vegetable and eat it". My kids are all really good eaters now so don't despair! He will survive on pancakes and peanut butter and the day will come when you can get him to eat other foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would probably put peanut butter on tortellini if someone let me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm finally outing myself. Remember way back at the conference last May when I sat next to you and I said I would leave a comment so I would officially be "outed"? Well it only took me 8 months to do it.

    My little boy also is obsessed with peanut butter too. Then I laughed because he also refers to it as "butter". I get lots of looks when he asks for a "butter bagel" or "butter bread".

    And Landon has never been a picky eater until about 3 months ago. (He will be 3 in March). It's driving me crazy! He lives on waffles, pancakes, butter, rice and corn. I can get him to eat apples if I put peanut butter on them. I've even put peanut butter on the oranges for him (double gross) and he will eat those but only if they have "butter".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The vision of Noah waking up to a balloon is killing me right now. What a cute little pill :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No peanut butter for James yet (we have a picky doctor who says no nuts until he's two), but he loves applesauce. So I pureed up some veggies and mixed them with applesauce: Voila! I figured he eats lots of other food with textures, so if he has to have pureed veg to eat them, fine by me. If he'll only eat them with applesauce, terrific. We also have a ready supply of Cheerios and Goldfish crackers--I sincerely wish I'd invented the no-spill snack cup we put them in.

    I agree with the other commenters: He'll eat when he's hungry, and keep offering him good, healthy foods mixed with a few of those favorites, and he'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, currently all I feed Lizzy Jo is breast milk! :D So I don't have any suggestions of my own. But I really like the idea of blending things to put into a favorite food, like die Frau suggested. You could make pancakes with pureed veggies mixed in the batter. Would he consider eating hashbrowns if you called them potato pancakes? Or have you tried slathering cream cheese on fruits or veggies? I was way impressed that you thought of putting peanut butter on the tortellini, because the grossness of it would have prevented me from doing it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Cancakes. That part makes me laugh:) He talks so much!! I love it! He sounds so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little dude seems SOOOOO much like he would fit right in with my crazies. I love your fun, grateful Mommy attitude. I know not every day is a piece of cancake, but you still glory in it and I so value that perspective. Love you, Rach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no advice for picky eating. Some kids are picky some are not. Trust me. Jack won't eat a thing. Dallen and Adam will eat anything. I haven't done anything different with them. (Oh and Nathan is somewhere in the middle.) Oh and that is so sweet that your dad took him to Village Inn!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!