Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Mega Update

I feel like it's been a big couple of months.  Lots going on.  I am quite tired and ready to veg out for the next couple of weeks until this baby is born.  Here's a list of what we've been up to this summer:

*Sometime in early May, Noah switched from a crib to a big boy bed.  This was probably a long time coming, and he did just great with the change--never came out of his room even once.  (I attribute this to the success we've had with his "light turns green" clock, which is the best parenting purchase I've ever made.  It initially took some training to get him to respond to it, but boy do I recommend it.)  

When I say he switched to a "big boy bed," I do mean "big."  We put him in our old bed, and I actually really like that he has so much space because all three of us can snuggle in to read a story together, and sometimes after he's sound asleep, I crawl into his bed and wrap my arms around him for a few minutes.  Funnest.

Noah likes to "read" to himself in bed before naptime and bedtime.  I love standing outside of his room and listening to him flipping pages and reciting the stories he remembers (making up the details as he goes along).  One day I found him sound asleep during naptime with a book on his face. :)  I hope he's always a reader.

*We attempted potty training for the third time.  It did not go well.  This probably deserves its own blog post, but I will summarize by saying that my very smart and very stubborn son simply will not be forced to use the potty.  Man, he humbles me sometimes.  He totally knows how to use the toilet but flat out refuses when he knows that I want him to do it.  I've decided to let it go for the time being and see what happens.  Please don't judge me when you see my thirteen-year-old in diapers.

*We spent a weekend in Pocatello for Mother's Day.  A few of Ryan's siblings and their kids were there as well, and it was a fun weekend of chatting, kite-flying, celebrating mothers, and being together.

*We've spent time as a family outdoors in Twin Falls.  It is really beautiful this time of year--well, except for the past two weeks which have been between 95-100 every day (way too hot for this pregnant woman, and the forecast isn't changing anytime soon).  In May and June, the weather was great and we went for walks, did some simple hikes, and spent lots of time in our backyard.  Despite the heat, last week Ry and Noah went on a father-and-son date to a nearby cave, and then Ryan and I got away for a dessert date at a restaurant on the edge of the canyon.  We love being outside as a fam.

*We spent another weekend in Pocatello for Father's Day.  Again, a few of Ryan's siblings and their kids were there--I didn't get many photos but, as always, it was a good time.  On the way home, we got off the highway and drove up close to the big windmills that we always see on our way to Poky.  Noah was ecstatic.  He has been obsessed with these windmills for almost a year and had never been near one up close.  He kept saying that it really "freaked [him] out" to be so close to one.

*Noah did two weeks of swimming lessons.  This was very traumatic for both of us.  I had no idea when I signed him up that these were "tough love" swimming lessons where the intent is to really teach the kids how to swim, not just splash around and get comfortable in the water.  Noah and I were both shocked when the first thing that the teacher did was dunk him under the water and hold him there for a few seconds.  I don't consider myself an overprotective mom, but it was painful to watch.  He came up screaming, coughing, and sputtering, and as I listened to him sobbing, "Oh please don't sink me!" over and over for half an hour, every motherly instinct in me wanted to grab him and pull him out of that pool.  I made it through the lesson without intervening, but afterwards I did talk to the teacher about my concerns.  I felt like *that* mom, but I'm glad I followed my gut and spoke up for Noah because they were much gentler with him from then on out.  I'm also glad I didn't pull him out of the lesson altogether because he ended up having a good experience and learning a lot.  They still pushed him, but they weren't so aggressive about it, and he made a lot of progress.  By the end of his session, he was going under the water willingly for several seconds, and he even jumped off the diving board to his teacher a few times.

*I organized and labeled everything in the house.  I am thinking this must be an odd pregnancy thing.  I don't have much energy these days, but for some reason, when I do have energy, I feel the urgent need to organize.  This irrational project is slow going, but I get a little done each week.  Our office supplies look pretty rockin' now, if I do say so myself--I even made a bin for "adhesives," so if you ever come to visit us and are in need of some glue or tape, you will be able to find it quickly.  You're welcome.

*Noah's been camping three times this summer with his dad, and he loves it.  He does pretty well.  Though it takes him a while to fall asleep, he sleeps through the night and often sleeps in late in the morning.  He enjoys being in nature and eating smores.  I am excited for next summer when I'm not hugely pregnant and I can join them (with an infant...hmmm...we shall see...).

*My dad came to visit for a weekend!  It was so nice to have him here.  He entertained Noah, helped me organize stuff in the nursery, took me shopping for baby girl clothes, made freezer meals with me, and did tons of dishes.  Seriously--Dad of the Year.  I didn't want him to leave!!  We also had some fun while he was in town, including going canoeing on the Snake River.

*Noah has spent a little time with his favorite babysitter, Baylee.  This darling 13-year-old lives in our neighborhood, and she rides her bike over once a week to play with Noah for a couple of hours while I get stuff done, work on Power of Moms, or, since I've been pregnant and sick, take a nap.  Noah adores her, and I love listening to them playing trains and playdoh--this break is as good for him as it is for me.  

*Our friends from college, the Adamsons, came to visit.  Back in 2004, they set us up on our first date (did you know that Ryan and I met on a blind date?), so we will be forever indebted to them.  We hadn't seen them in seven years, so we had lots of chatting and catching up to do.  They and their three kids stayed in our little house with us for three days and two nights, and it was very chaotic and very fun.

*We went on a family trip to Sun Valley with my in-laws for the 4th of July.  Everyone was there except for Ryan's youngest brother, Tanner, who is on a mission for our church.  It was great to be together.  We went to a parade on the 4th, spent a day on the beach at Red Fish Lake, and celebrated Gordon's birthday.  The guys learned to fly fish one day, and I think Ryan is hooked (no pun intended).  He went out the next night with his dad, and he caught a real whopper on the river (and by whopper, I mean someone's pet goldfish).  He's been watching fly fishing videos on YouTube and reading fly fishing books ever since we got back.  I can totally see Ryan becoming a fly fisherman.

*And last but not least (are you tired yet? because I totally am), Noah got his tonsils and adenoids out this past week. He had absolutely ginormous tonsils that the pediatrician and ENT were afraid were blocking his airway, so out they came.  He was a trooper on the day of the surgery--didn't even cry as they were taking him away for surgery in a little wagon--but recovery has been pretty tough on him. 

The first day, he was writhing and shrieking in pain and could not be consoled.  It's been a little better since, but he still doesn't want to swallow or eat much, and he has at least one horrendous freaking-out-in-pain episode every day (just had one that woke him from sleep as I am writing this blog post--thank goodness for his big bed so I could snuggle him).  The doctor and others acted like recovery from this procedure would be no big deal for a kid Noah's age, so I think I had unreasonable expectations going into it.  Hopefully he will be back to himself soon because it breaks my heart to see him like this.

So yes, that's all.  And I have almost nothing on the calendar for the next three weeks until the baby is due.  And I am so glad--I couldn't keep up that pace for much longer!

It's a happy and busy life.  We are blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Here's hoping you get the rest you need! And that your baby doesn't come early and interrupt it!


I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!