Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Snapshots of Seven Weeks with Sal



Baby Sally is seven weeks old, and we love her!  For the first month, I allowed life to pretty much stand still as I recovered from pregnancy and we all got to know our little Sally Girl.  As difficult as those first few weeks postpartum were in some ways, they were also so peaceful and blissful in others: I did not cook, clean, work on projects, or, in all honesty, shower or get out of my sweatpants very often. :)  Pretty much all I did was snuggle my baby, take naps with her, read Noah books, go for slow and short walks, and enjoy my family.  It's not very often that life "pauses" like that, and it felt sacred.




We were so lucky to have my mother-in-law, my dad, and my sisters all come to help us over the course of that first month, and it was simply amazing to have them here.  Perhaps I will eventually write more about the struggles that I faced those first few weeks postpartum (most notably lots of anxiety as my hormones leveled out and difficulty breastfeeding as my fertility problems prevented me from getting a full milk supply); but for now, suffice it to say that I could not have made it through those first few weeks without the help and support of our family.  I am so grateful to them--words really can't express it.





 


After that first month, normal life started to resume somewhat, and we are slowly getting back into the swing of things.  It feels good.  Baby Sally has made things easy on me--she is a very sweet and content baby and has honestly been the easy part of this postpartum period.  She does get fussy at times, but she can almost always be soothed with snuggling and rocking, and, really, who can complain about that?


Noah is doing great too.  He adores his baby sister ("Sis" or "Sissy Sue," as we've taken to calling her around here), and he has shown zero resentment toward her.  I am surprised and pleased by how well he has adjusted to being a big brother.  Sometimes I wish his shows of affection could be a little less forceful (he tends to maul her in the process of giving her hugs and kisses), but she doesn't seem to mind his aggression too much, and I guess she better get used to it...it may be the story of the rest of her life!




Overall, life is so good, and I am happy.  I sometimes feel stretched to my limit during the day when both kids need me, the house is a disaster, and I haven't had a moment to sit, eat, shower or rest, but I feel like I am adjusting well and becoming a better mother as I exercise patience with the kids and with myself.  It's good to be stretched, and these kiddos are more than worth it.

So with no further ado, here is the last seven weeks in snapshots.  Enjoy!

First week home: Her bruising from delivery was still healing, and she got her first bath from Grandma!



Family time is the best!  Noah always requests that "Little Sis" read his bedtime book with him. 


 

Mom and Dad are totally smitten!




Sally was so reverent during her first time at church--she slept soundly the entire time and even kept her arms folded in prayer. ;)



This girl is truly the world's sweetest little nugget.  Even when she's awake at night, she usually just lays there content.  It's amazing.  

We sure adore her!!





4 comments:

  1. That is one cute baby. You look great. Congrats on a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious is she?! It looks like she's a great sleeper. And good for you taking in the snuggles that first month. Every new mom should get the opportunity to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, babies are tiny miracles, aren't they?! And hooray for not being pregnant anymore! It's a blessing
    To be pregnant, and a blessing to be Done being pregnant for a bit!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!