Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hanging out with Ry

Ryan on a recent camping trip

I love Ryan.

I love twilight...not the book, the time of day.  I call it the "witching hour."

I love driving down the highway with the windows rolled down.

Combining all three of those loves makes for a perfect evening.

Last night, Ryan and I went out to dinner to a little hometown Italian place in Getzille, NY.  It was a bit of a drive, but I loved every minute of it.  We rolled down the windows and watched the sun go down while blasting Mat Nathanson.

Over sun-dried tomato ravioli, we talked about life.  It's been some time since Ryan and I have talked about life because I was out west for a while and then my little sis immediately came to the Buff for a visit (more on that later).  I've missed talking to Ry.  When my sisters and I are together, Ryan doesn't get to do much talking.

He told me about a book he is reading--The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky.  Ryan loves to read and learn and think, and he is often reading five books at a time, all on different subjects.  I myself find it hard to sit down and read.  I am too A.D.D.  I think my husband and I balance each other out.

We talked about his pedo applications, and I had a mini-panic attack at the dinner table.  I started breathing deeply and asking when the applications are going to be finished.  He told me to calm down--he will take care of it.  I am skeptical because I am a control freak.

We didn't want to stop talking, so we ordered a slice of apple pie for dessert.  As we shared it, we talked about our goals for the rest of the summer and wondered why we never really meet any of them.  Why is it so much easier to talk about a goal than to pursue a goal?

We didn't talk about fertility treatments or adoption because nothing is happening there, and it's a little frustrating to talk about something that you have no control over.  It was nice not to talk about it.

On the way home, Ryan asked if I wanted to rent a movie.  I thought about how much I had been hoping to clean our apartment when I got home--but I said "yes" to the movie anyway.

After considering several options at Family Video (including "Post Grad," "Creation," and "Dear John"), we decided on "Extraordinary Measures."  It is about a family with kids with disabilities; we know and love several similar families and thought it might be a good tear-jerker to end our night together.

But at 11 p.m. (early for us), we decided that we were too tired to watch the movie and went to bed instead.  We'll have to watch the movie tonight.

We snuggled all night long.  We are snugglers.

It was a good night.

7 comments:

  1. "You gotta be kidding me. Everything you just said, is MY favorite thing to do, every day!" (Hopefully you're a Nacho Libre fan because if not, that won't make any sense to you.) But seriously...I like dusk and I like to snuggle at night with Andrew. And I like eating apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cracked up at Molly's comment. Why is Nacho Libre so funny?!? That sounds very pleasant. Glad you guys had some time to just relax together. Miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cracked up at Molly's comment too! Haha! It sounds like a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, time to confess: I have never seen Nacho Libre. True story. It doesn't seem like Logan's kind of movie, so I'll have to watch it with Laura instead. :)

    Sounds like a perfect night. You got a great hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you two are SO perfect together!
    what a wonderful night to share with the one you love. . .
    and psst!
    i LOVE to ride with the windows rolled down too!
    reminds me of warm summer nights as a kid. . . those were the days, eh?

    hey! are you in town?
    i am too!
    let's hang foo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun- We miss Buffalo!!! How is the RSP thing going?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extraordinary Measures was an enjoyable feel good movie! I'm having a fun time reading about your summer.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!