Monday, June 17, 2013

A Love Letter to my Tantruming Twenty-Two Month Old

Holy moly, Child, you are entering the terrible twos! Today has been a day of meltdowns, tantrums, and high-pitched screaming (yours, not mine--though I was tempted to join you on a couple of occasions).  When Dad got home from work, you were in the midst of one of your colossal fits, and he looked at me with wide eyes and said, "Who is this kid?"  We are both a little bewildered by your sudden change in temperament; you were pretty darn easy for the last nine months or so, but I have a feeling that things are a'changing around here.  (Which is okay.  I think it's quite normal for you to start asserting your independence and opinions at this age.)

Tonight, to de-stress from our tumultuous day, I decided to sit down and reflect on all of the things that I love about you.  It was pretty easy to come up with a big list.  As strong willed as you are, you are also insanely adorable and fun, and I am so grateful to be your mama.  Recently, a woman at the grocery store asked you what your name is.  You pointed at yourself and said, "Cute!" :) Well that is certainly true!  Here is a list of some of the cute things that I love about you at this age:

Ready for church
I love the sound of your sweet little voice.  You are speaking in full sentences now, and some of your favorite phrases crack me up, such as when you inform me that your food is "nice and warm" or when you say "Excuse me, Sir" to inanimate objects.  You congratulate yourself when you do something difficult with an enthusiastic, "Good job, Boy!"  (I have no idea why you call yourself "Boy," but it is pretty stinkin' adorable.)  And your favorite question, which I hear all day long, is, "Whacha doin', Mommy?"  It always takes me aback when you say that because you seem so grown up.

Playing at the park
I love the way you dance and sing to music in the car.  Watching you in the rearview mirror while you gleefully clap to "Bingo" makes my heart happy.

Showing off your guns and your Dr. Majeroni Orthodontics tattoo
I love the pinwheel cowlick on the back of your head.  You have always had crazy hair, and I have a feeling you always will!

"Cheeeeeese!"
I love that you adore your Daddy, even though I'm sure it annoys him when you shout his name over and over whenever he leaves the room. :)  He is your best friend and favorite playmate.

Forts with Daddy
I love watching you discover the world.  The other night, I was outside cleaning the car when I spotted a full rainbow in the sky.  I called to Dad, who was in the midst of putting you to bed, and told him to bring you outside.  Your face lit up when you saw in real-life what you'd previously only seen in books.  "Rainbow!" you whispered and pointed to the sky.   It was magical.

First rainbow
I love when you come to find me for your goodnight kiss.  You pucker up and give me a little peck, then grin mischievously and take off running toward your room where Daddy is waiting to tuck you in.  Nothing is cuter than the sight of you dashing away in your tight PJs, your arms flailing and feet pumping as you dart down the hallway.

Posing with your beautiful new quilt from Grandma!
I love that you are obsessed with books.  You will request your favorite stories by title or memorable phrase. (Today you insisted on "Gnash their terrible teeth" AKA "Where The Wild Things Are.") Whenever you are in the midst of a meltdown, if I pull you into my lap and start reading a book, you will usually stop screaming within three seconds.  I have a feeling we may be reading together a lot over the coming months!  My favorite time of day is before and after your nap when we read together in our cuddle chair and I can squeeze your pudginess and rest my head on your soft hair.
You weren't so fond of me forcing you to model your new church tie.
Quick, grab a book!
I love how friendly and social you are.  When your pals from church come over to play, you absolutely light up, and then get ridiculously wound up and hyper.  When we are at the grocery store, you chime a cute little "Hi!" to everyone we pass, and whenever you see a group of children, you say, "Hi, Kids!" or "Hi, Friends!"  I hope you will always be so outgoing. 

You love pizza!
I love hearing you sing.  Your favorite songs are "Rock-a-bye, Baby," "Edelweiss," and of course, the ABCs.  You quietly sing the ABCs to yourself whenever you are playing with your cars or trains, and it makes me grin.


I love that you always announce a rule right before you break it. "Only on paper!" you told me, right before you scribbled with crayon all over the blinds.  This makes it so I don't have to feel guilty when I put you in time-out, since you clearly understand what you did wrong!  (And it also gives me something to chuckle about once I've left your room.)  Today, as I was loading the dishwasher, you looked at me and said, "No stand on it.  Dishwasher broken!" and then you climbed right up onto the open dishwasher door and looked at me smugly.  What a stinker.


Looking at those photos and writing that list has actually made me excited to spend tomorrow with you, tantrums and all.  No matter what the day brings, and no matter how many fits you throw, you will still be my best little pal. 


I love you to the moon and back--and always, always will.

Love,
Your Mama

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome thing to read first thing in the morning! I was laughing out loud through the entire thing. I love that little beast. I can't wait to read this to Sam when he gets home from work today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how fast things change? Aidan went from screaming to calm over night, and I am SO grateful. (Hopefully I'm not jinxing it).
    I'm so glad Noah can tell you what he's thinking and that he's speaking full sentences. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he would get along great with Titus. I love all the little things they do that make them who they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agh, I love that pizza picture! Adorable!!
    Naomi just turned two, and she had a horrendous time pushing out a couple of molars last month. We are still waiting on the top two, and I'm really looking forward to the pain of teething topped with the joys of an independent 2-year-old. Ha! But if he's teething you can get your sweetie back with pain killers. :)
    I love watching your cutie grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In that second to last picture of Noah in the grey sweater he looks SO OLD! What a big boy! He sure is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little boy! I can't wait to see you guys!! Keep up the good posts. You are inspiring, I need to keep updating mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm......"Excuse me, sir"?!?!?!?! I haven't heard that yet!! I am DYING to!!!! Not to mention "Good Job, Boy!" He really is RIDICULOUSLY cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a roller coaster motherhood is! Good thing the highs are so high! haha I love that little Noah and especially his mama:) I'm going to miss you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!