Thursday, June 11, 2009

Robbed.

A couple of hours ago, Ryan came home from school, and, lo and behold, our apartment had been ransacked.

The robber (henceforth known as Jerk) entered through the downstairs neighbor's window, and he/she went through all of his stuff. Then Jerk wandered upstairs, and, I'm sure much to his/her delight, discovered that our inner door was unlocked. We always lock the outer door, but sometimes we don't lock the inner door if we are in a hurry.

Won't do that again.

We are shocked, to say the least.

The good news: Jerk only stole my laptop (which was slow and old), my bike (which was cute but not expensive), and our digital camera (which is replaceable). He/she left behind EVERYTHING else including our passports, video camera (obviously didn't see that), and the real pearls that my dad bought for me in China (must have been a guy that robbed us).

The biggest loss of all is my laptop--and not because of the value of the actual machine. My laptop was our repository for all of our photos, and it had many many important and priceless documents on it: my journals, my annual Mother's Day letters to my mom, all of the documentation for the non-profit we work with...

I am so sad. Go ahead and steal my money--but please don't steal my memories. I haven't backed up my computer since we moved here, and I can't find the jump drive on which it is backed up. I don't know if I lost it or if Jerk took it.

I feel sick about this.

It could be way way worse--that's what I keep telling myself. What if our apartment burned down and we lost everything? What if Jerk had taken more of our stuff? Worse case scenario, what if one of us had come home while he was here, and he had hurt us?

Lessons I have learned from this:

1) Buy an external hard drive and back up my computer every week. Keep the hard drive in a hidden, safe place.
2) Always lock the inner door.

Ryan and I feel very violated that someone was in our home, and we are now going to go and try to process that as we clean up...

17 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt violated when tylers bike was stolen from our drive way but in your house is so much worse. I always say the thing I would miss the most if our house was burned down would be my pictures...that stinks that you lost so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO AWFUL! I'm going to start backing up my computer now! I can't imagine losing some of those valuable memories. Seriously, who steals things?!?!? That is just awful! Hope you guys are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry! I would feel very violated too, what a creep! AND I'm so sorry you lost so many memories...that would be what I would miss the most too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!
    Rachel! :(
    I am SO sorry!
    we live right next to you. . . it makes me feel violated and it didn't even happen to me!
    let me know if you need anything. . . dang Jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh that is TERRIBLE!!! I can't even believe it. Seriously, I would be freaked out and sooooo MAD. I reeeeally hope you find your jump drive. I'm sorry Rach!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just glad you didn't come home from work early. Seriously, sis. That freaks me out. I am so sorry about the letters to mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The loss of memories breaks my heart. Especially the journals and letters to mom. (I didn't even know you did that...good idea.) I love you so much! Oh, and dad can probably get you a free new (old, actually) laptop from the firm. He did that for Logan when ours broke and he told me last week they had more. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally know how you feel. I'm really sorry. It gets better with time. Eventually you won't feel as paranoid or violated. I'm really, really sorry. Do you have insurance that will cover the costs of your stolen goods?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Rach, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm with you on the memories stuff. That breaks my heart. Hopefully you find your jump drive and have it saved. That guy is a serious jerk!! Hope everything will turn out ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO SORRY! I feel awful for you. I would cry if I lost my journals. I'm glad you weren't home when it happened... scary. Let me know if I can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Backup, backup, backup... what a good reminder. It is the types of things that were on your computer that are the worst to lose. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Rachel! I am so sorry. This couldn't have happened to nicer people. What a Jerk!! Good thing you keep a blog with some pics on it. They can't steal that! Let us know if you guys need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awful! I am so sorry for you and Ryan. I wonder what your friend Deborah will have to say about this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. =( I don't even know what to say! That is so terrible. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!