Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year!!

I love New Years...and not for the partying (never do much of that)...I love having a fresh start and renewed motivation to better myself at the beginning of each year.

I know I could treat any day of the year like New Years--after all, it's just a made up holiday, an arbitrary date someone probably came up with as an excuse to drink champagne and kiss ladies--but, for whatever reason, I do feel differently as a new year begins.

When I was a teenager, my mom had us do a special New Years Family Home Evening at the beginning of each year; she gave us categories like "Favorite family memories from the past year" and "Things I worked hard on this year," etc, and we brainstormed individually and then shared as a family. I've always been quite a sentimental, melancholy sap, so I looked forward to this FHE, and I've kept copies of my brainstorms from year to year. For me, it's always very meaningful to look back over a year of my life and realize all that I overcame, how much I changed, and how Heavenly Father blessed me. Holidays give me an excuse to pause--reflect--evalute. I love that.

Ry and I continue to do this FHE Activity with each other, and I'm sure we will with our kids too!

But New Years isn't just a time to reflect on the past; it's also a time to hope for the future. I am one of those dorky people who has about ten New Years Resolutions. This year, I have a few specific goals that I hope help me grow stronger spiritually and physically. I even made myself a weekly check-off chart to track my progress. Can you tell I'm excited? :)

So, HAPPY NEW YEAR...

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you! I love getting a fresh start each year and getting a brand new cute calendar to put up. We also do a little time capsule of our yearly highlights that we fill out right after Christmas and put away with the decorations. It's fun to look back and see what went on in years past. I'm right there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good FHE. I haven't made my New Year's resolutions yet. Maybe this weekend we'll sit down and do that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!