Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Lean and Hungry Look


Last night, I “video chatted” with my little sister on my computer using Skype. (I did this because I temporarily lost my cell phone, and Ry’s phone is still not working, so we had no way to communicate with anyone.) She had just gotten back from the gym and was eager to show me her muscles. At my request, she also angled the camera so that I could see her six-pack. (She is a tiny, fit little thing.)

Well, I decided that I better show her my six-pack as well—so I hunched over to make sure that my rolls were especially prominent, and then I angled the webcam so she’d have a great view. “Ewwwww!” she shouted.

I loved it.

Today, my co-teacher showed me a fantastic article that literally had me dying of laughter and wiping tears from my eyes as I read it at my desk.

It’s based on this quote from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar:

“Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.”

The article, by Suzanne Britt, starts like this...

“Caesar was right. Thin people need watching. I’ve been watching them for most of my adult life, and I don’t like what I see. When those narrow fellows spring at me, I quiver to my toes. Thin people come in all personalities, most of them menacing…Thin people turn surly, mean, and hard at a young age because they never learn the value of a hot-fudge sundae for easing tension. Thin people don’t like gooey soft things because they themselves are neither gooey nor soft. They are crunchy and dull, like carrots…”

I like this woman's logic!

To read the essay in its hilarious entirety, click here.

So to my little sister, and all other skinny stick people, I say--GO EAT A HOT FUDGE SUNDAE.

8 comments:

  1. How about some Hershey's toffee nuggets? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, the funny thing is that that tiny little sister of yours can PACK IT IN!!! Wow-wish I was like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, don't know how it works, but my tooth pick little sis smoothers everything with extra butter, cream cheese, chocolate syrup, what have you. Guess it's in the genes. Not fair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented yesterday but it didn't go through. Annoying. The sad thing is that our twiggy little sister DOES down hot fudge sundaes. Annoying. :) Oh yeah, and you are not fat. In some other cultures/neighborhoods they would be telling you to eat more and fatten up! And in China they would sensitively tell you that "You are so fat and beautiful!" and mean it as a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rach you are so funny!! Even though I'm not a stick person, I think I'll go make some zucchini bread and eat that instead!! (It's my LAST day of freedom! Sad!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm now I want hot fudge!! :) Your background is adorable btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To that last comment, I say "thank you." Ha! :) You owe me, your highness. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rachel. My address is
    770 E 1740 S Orem, Utah 84097

    ...for the calendar form. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!