Friday, March 4, 2011

Jumped

Ryan got jumped as he was walking home from school today.

He was less than half a block from our house when two guys approached him from behind, demanded money, punched him in the face, threw him in the snow, kicked him, took his wallet, and walked away.

As they were wrestling him to the ground, his backpack got flung into the gutter, and they didn't take it with them.  But he was so disoriented and mad when he stood up that he didn't think about his bag and just started kinda following the guys from a distance as he called 9-1-1.  He was trying to see if they would get in a car, so he could get the license plate number.  They disappeared around the corner, and he turned around to go back and get his bag.

But alas, in the one minute that it took him to get his bearings and go back for his bag, someone in a maroon truck had come by and taken the backpack (with his laptop inside).

We aren't totally sure if the two incidents are related or just a bizarre string of bad luck--but a neighbor claims that the same truck circled back around with the two assailants in the back, ran a stop sign, and drove off at top speed.

The neighbors, who all came out onto their porches when they heard the scuffle, were very kind to poor Ryan.  One lady brought him a cold wash cloth to put on his eye; another invited Ryan to sit on his porch while he waited for the police to come.

When the first cop showed up, he asked Ryan where he lived.  "Right there," Ryan said, pointing three houses away.

The cop raised an eyebrow, "Are you a student?"

"Yeah, a dental student."

"You should move," he said matter-of-factly.

Another cop pulled up.  He said to Ryan, "You live on this street?  You should move."

Welp, we are moving in three months, thankfully.  But I feel bad for the residents of Rounds Avenue--I swear our neighbors are super nice, and they can't escape the thugs taking over their neighborhood.  The  lady who brought Ry the wash cloth said, "I hate this neighborhood."

You may remember a blog post with a similar title from a while ago...oh yes, the blog post was entitled "Robbed."

Ryan just said to me, "We lived in this apartment so we could save money.  But with the cost of replacing two laptops and several bikes, do you think we came out ahead?"

Probably not.  But you can't put a price on stories like these.



Oh, Buffalo.  We will miss you.  We really will.

20 comments:

  1. Ahh, poor Ryan, that sucks! It'll make a good story, though. I can't wait for you to get safely to Colorado. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh rachel! This makes me so sick. I'm so sorry. He's got such a good black eye! :( Yay for moving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! That's freaking SCARY! But way to go Ryan for having a sweet black eye, and an awesome story to tell the kids someday...because really, that's a pretty intense story. I hope he's rocking the black eye...did I tell you I had a black eye once? We can exchange pictures sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!! That is one terrible looking eye! Poor Ryan. That is pretty terrifying, or it would be to me at least. I know Ryan is much tougher than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, oh my, oh my. Ryan, your gorgeous smile prevails and your heart still shines! I wish so much your good neighbors could be spared the tragedy of people who have come to such an awful place in their own lives. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is horrible! I'm so sorry! I hope they recover his things. And maybe move to a safer neighborhood in Denver :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my gosh! Poor Ryan. If you need to escape to a safer neighborhood this week, feel free to use our house. I know it is only a few streets away, but it feels a whole lot safer (I may have a false sense of security there)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!!! I'm so sorry Ryan! This has me wondering if Carl should be walking to school... :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh please, we all know that Rachel gave him that shiner. Prolly in a fight over who had to do the dishes. And Rachel clearly won.

    j/k. This post is freaky and sad and hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so SCARY!!!! Did you have to cancel all of your credit cards and stuff? How annoying!!! Poor Ry-Ry! He's so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whenever I've visited it feels so safe on your street! How sad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh I am so sorry you guys went through that! I know how aweful it is, Mike was also robbed pretty violently a few years ago. I definately wouldn't walk through that neighborhood, as sad as that is. GLad you guys will be safer in Colorado soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! I almost wondered if you were kidding when this post started out--and that would NOT have been funny! WOW! Poor Ryan. I'm so sorry! THREE MORE MONTHS! Hang in there. :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! I am so sorry that that happened. What scum! Poor Ryan. The next 3 months can't come soon enough for you guys can it? I can't believe the shiner he has too. What a tough guy? And he's smiling?

    ReplyDelete
  15. His face! Wow. That will be nice to show his patients and classmates!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Out of all people too...poor guy! I thought Ryan was packin heat?! He should have pulled it out in that moment, oh well maybe next time :) Do you need his home teacher to body guard him, because I've met him and he's pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome story. I am a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh. my. gosh. That is completely terrible! I'm so sorry. I can't imagine getting thrown, punched, and kicked. Plus the laptop and wallet. Glad you're moving soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man. Wow. I'm glad he's alive. Why do bad things happen to good people? I probably deserved getting jumped but made it out alive somehow. You guys be careful and make it out here!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!