Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Music to my ears...

"Mrs. Nielson, I've been looking forward to this class all day!"

It's not very often that I get to hear comments like that...especially from my male students.  But I've been hearing this and other similar sentiments a lot lately since my 11th grade classes have been reading and acting out the play version of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.


My students love this unit, and this is why:






I turn my classroom into the "set" as a mental hospital, and I make them wear costumes and act out what we are reading.  Surprisingly, they love it and run to class each day to get their costumes on and their props ready.  Yesterday, the characters in the play did an Indian war dance, so guess what...I had a pack of wild eleventh graders whopping and hollering, shuffling up and down the aisles of desks.  OH SO FUN!!!!!

Unfortunately for them, our next unit is the huge research paper.  What a juxtaposition!

3 comments:

  1. I always looked forward to your class. You have such incredible teaching methods. You remain my favorite teacher. I hope all is well, Rachel. -Madison Reece

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice comment above! Did you realize that your old/current students may be reading this?!? Did you ever figure out who the mystery "friend" was who listed Laura and yourself on her blog list? You are such a fun teacher. If I had had a fun teacher in high school then I may have actually read the books! You KNOW I would have been clamoring to be Nurse Rachet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are the best teacher... your students are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!! Thanks for the comment!